Tuesday, December 6, 2011

June 12th 1864

Officers Camp, Point Lookout, Md.
June 12th /64.

My Dear Wife,

I received yesterday yours of the 5th containing the five -5- dollars sent me by Gus. I have written to him to day returning him my thanks. I see by yours received yesterday that you have not received my letter acknowledging receipt of pictures. I have written to George, his box arrived safe and contained coat, jacket, pants, & shoes, also paper, envelopes, and pipes form Joe. The shirts you sent me came in box also, for which I thank you kindly they fit well I have one on at this time. The box also contained a vest & smoking tobacco which I had forgotten to mention. I have written to Joe to day. I received a small bundle of tobacco from Mary Griffith, I think, as she told me she would send me some. I think I like the plate best with the children dressed in white. Lucy’s is the best in that and Ida’s is best as you say with the colored dress although hers is not good in white it is not quite as distinct but will do very well, neither of James is very good but I am satisfied. I think I shall send the one that is disfigured to Mary G, the one where the defect is in yours and Lucy’s hand I was a little disappointed in the suit of clothes, but I suppose George did his best, and I am much obliged to him. This you need not mention to any one, when you tell me whether Louisa’s little one is a boy or girl, I will select a name for it. I hope she is doing well, my love to all home and to all relatives & friends. Kiss the little ones for me, from your affectionate husband,

Henry A. Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment