Monday, December 13, 2010

April 2nd 1864

Officers Camp Point Lookout Md April 2d 1864
Dear Sallie
Your much welcomed letter was handed me yesterday. you cannot imagine dear Sarah what a source of pleasure it is to me receiving a letter from you letting me know how you and my little dear ones are, it is the only pleasure I see here in prison would that I could come to you all never to be parted again, but rather than come as some have I would sooner die and I know you feel as I do on that subject. yester\day I received a letter from Mary and have replied to it. she tells me I will hardly see Aunt Mary again in this world. oh! what a feeling passed over me when I read that. she is all the Mother I have ever known and I know loves me as her own child. God in his mercy may grant she may be spared to us all. I was much pained to hear of the death of Mollies Ma. I sympathize with them deeply in their affliction. I do not think Tucker is in the Point. I have written to Bob Braten (?) to know you shall hear in my next. I wrote to Aunt Mary to day go and see her as often as you can and carry the children with you I know she loves them. my love to her and tell her my prayer is that we may meet again. my love to Ma and the Owens family tell Mollie I feel for her deeply in her distress, I wrote to Jim yesterday if you should see Gus tell him I suppose he has forgotten me he owes me a letter, my love to all home yours Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment