Monday, December 20, 2010

May 22nd 1864

Officers Camp. Point Lookout Md.

May 22d 1864

Dear Sarah

Yours of the 13th ult. Has come to hand and gave me much pleasure to know you all were well, as you say many a loving heart has been made sad many a fond wife will wait anxiously for the dear one who will never return, many the dear little ones who will be left father[le]ss by this civil war. God grant it may soon come to a close and peace smile on us once again. I have received no letter from Bowers yet, and trust it will not turn out as the other did. The box would be very acceptable at this time and hope to see it soon, the pictures would be a delightful present to me as I would like much to look upon the dear faces of those I love best on earth once again. I do sincerely hope I will not be disappointed. you spoke of sending me money do not send it because I know it cannot be spared. I can make out very well. Gus offered to send me some but I have not heard from him for some time I wrote to him one month ago to day. he probaly did not get it. I was glad to learn Ma and Aunt Mary were improving my love to them. did Ma get my last letter. remember me to Mary H also to Louisa, Mollie, Mela, Mrs Foster, & Laura, and to all my friends. my love to your Ma and the children. Kiss Ida & Lucy for me I have not heard form Joe for some time. yours in love

H.A. Allen

from your Affectionate Husband,

I mailed a letter to you yesterday before I received yours

No comments:

Post a Comment