Thursday, November 25, 2010

August 29th 1863

Johnsons Island Sandusky Ohio

August 29th 1863

Dear Sarah,

It is indeed a dull monotonous life we spend here and as we have no sence of amusement this afternoon I though I best wrote you a few lines. There is a floating rumor that we will be exchanged shortly but I do not give it a thought. I trust my little Ida is now quite well. I promised when I wrote last I would send her a ring you will here find it enclosed, tell her it was made by one of the Rebels in prison here, no doubt she will be quite proud of it. you need not trouble yourself about sending me money I can make out and what you have you will need for your own purposes. I wrote to Ma a few days ago you can tell her it is in care of Mr Bain. I have also written to your Pa. I think he will get at this time, I received a letter from Gus (unclear) the other day and was very glad to hear from him he sent me a lot of Stamps, it has been nearly sixteen months since I have seen you and my dear little ones and you must know I feel anxious to again be with you all but I feel it will not be so until this bloody war is ended when that will be I am not able to say give my best love to Aunt Mary when you see her I trust she is well, do you see her often, tell her her Boy has not forgotten her but thinks of her daily and prays he may see her again. I have not heard from Brother since I was taken prisinor, my love to all home remember me to all friends trusting these lines may find you all I remain yours affectionately

Henry

Captain Henry A. Allen Co K 9th Va

Prisinor of War, Johnsons Island, Sandusky Ohio

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the letter - I love to read these actual soldiers writings. I am in the process of transcribing the diaries of two Wisconsin soldiers who were imprisoned at Libby and Belle Island at the same time. Both soldiers were captured at Gettysburg on the first day and marched to Richmond - but were at different locations I believe due to different ranks. Their experiences were vastly different even though they were only a river apart.

    I visited Johnson's Island this summer on my way back from CWI and have some photos I would be willing to share with you if you are interested.

    Thanks again.
    Ann Kunkle-Jones

    ReplyDelete