Thursday, November 25, 2010

September 1 1863

Johnsons Island Sandusky Ohio

Sept 1st 1863

Dear Sarah,

Yours of the 26th I received this morning I am sorry to learn that the children are sick but trust they will soon be well again. indeed you have been troubled much with sickness since I left home. you say you have received four letters from me I have received three. I wrote to you a few days since but suppose you will get it before this leaves the Island. I was not aware that Frances contemplated a visit to Richmond. Jim will be much pleased no doubt. Should your Ma go you could go with her if you felt so disposed. I suppose you have the funds necessary. would that I could meet you there. you did not say wither Frances intended remaining there or not but I suppose not. I have purchased all necessary clothing including thick under shirts. we have not the privilidge of the Island, but occupy about 15 or 20 acres which is enclosed and are quite pleasantly situated. I think Ohio is a great grape country but I cannot tell whither they grow on the Island or not. I have seen Capt Corker, but have no acquaintance with him. I think though I have met him at Emma’s, I will make myself known to him. Mr. Turner should have paid you the money as he promised to let you have money which would pass current in Portsmouth, the letter I wrote a few days back had Ida’s ring in it, tell Bowers he must write, my love to all at home kiss the children for me

Yours Ever

Henry (Prisoner)

Capt H A Allen 9th Va Regt Prisoner of War

Johnsons Island Sandusky Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment