Saturday, November 27, 2010

October 25 1863

Johnsons Island Sandusky Ohio

Sunday Oct 25th 1863

Dear, Dear Sallie.

This being a damp disagreeable day and not being able to go out to avail myself of the opportunity to write you a few lines knowing you would like to hear how I was getting. I have been quite sick and now while writing suffer with my throat. but thanks to the good Being I trust soon to be well again at least in a few days. I stated in answer to your last that I was sick with sore throat, fever, and violent head ache. it is true I have not been sick long but for the time it was severe. Dear Sarah, what a pleasure it would be for me to be with you and my dear children this holy sabbath day. yes to be with you and to know that this cruel war was over, to know there would be no more hardship, pain, and death, to know that we would never more be parted, yea it would be pleasure indeed, but to turn the leaf here in prison no chance of exchange and when exchanged not to see you is it not hard. even if exchanged it may be a long long time before we shall meet if we all should be spared but cheer up put on a bold heart and it will be yet as we would wish. Sallie you have often said in your letters to me that you did not want for anything and never to fell uneasy about you that you could always get along. I fear from what Aunt Mary stated in her letter to me that it has not been always the case but that you speak so for the purpose of cheering me up it makes me indeed sad to think that I can be of no assistance to you. if what I expect has been the case do not keep it from me. I again ask you not to send me money as I can make out and I know you cannot. as dearly as I would prize the pictures I am willing to give up that pleasure rather than deprive you of one cent. but if at any time you should feel able you could have a Photograph taken and send it in a letter I think it is a kind of prepared paper it is taken on. you must try and see Mrs Vermillion Dennis’s widow she is living in P. at Another house John V hears from her often and she spoke of going to see you I reckon she seldom visits. she always speaks of me in her letter to John I have written to young G Bain, Gus B Shell, & several others but have received no answer my love to your Ma and all the family Yours Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment