Monday, November 22, 2010

August 4th 1863

Johnsons Island

Near Sandusky Ohio

August 4th 1863


My Dear Wife,

This will make three letters I have written to you and no answer have I received. but I hope to hear from you on the receipt of this I am quite well also all the boys with me from home. I wrote last relative to your sending me money also to see Bowers, and ask him to let me have some but you need not do so now as I have received enough to last me some time do not trouble yourself about it. you will see the Old Man George, and tell him to return my thanks to his son George, & his Brother David, for their kindness in sending me the $100.00 I received a check for the amount through Messers Brown, Brother & Co. Baltimore, and acknowledged the receipt by letter. my respect to them & tell them I feel under many obligations to them I shall share it with the Portsmouth Boys. Col. Hodges, Col Owens, John Jenkins, Tom Owens, William Barnett, Samuel Williams, & John Sundendale are dead how many more I am not able to say, tell Ma, Rob is not hurt but a prisoner, I have written to your Pa, twice but have received no answer, give my love to all at home, also to Aunt May, and all my friends, kiss my dear children. I must now close Good Bye from your Affectionate Husband,

Henry A. Allen

Capt 9th Va Regt Prisoner of War Johnsons Island near Sandusky Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment