Wednesday, January 11, 2012

April 10 1865

Fort Delaware

April 10th 1865

Dear Sarah

I would not have written to day as I wrote in answer to you second letter a few days back. I had written a few days before receiving it asking you to send me a few articles of clothing I will name here what I wrote for drawers, pocket handkerchiefs, and a needle case with needles, thread, & buttons when I wrote there was an order here for us to get a permit at this place to receive any articles of clothing this morning that order has been revoked and we can now receive boxes of clothing, or eatables without an order although no doubt you would have to get a permit as formally at Portsmouth if you should send the box you can put in any thing that you think I need smoking tobacco if you can get it. I thought it best to write to you informing you that I had written for the above articles as possibly you might not have received the letter. If you have and can send them do so as soon as possible as we may not stay here. Since we have been here we have heard nothing but bad news this morning it is reported that Genl Lee has surrendered with his whole army bad news for our cause if true. Have you heard anything from Jim & Francis since the fall of Richmond Dear Sarah I would not have written to you for the clothing mentioned if you had not of told me that you would send them to me if you cannot send the articles I named it will make no difference so not trouble yourself I will try and make out. I must now close give my love to all home and to all relatives & friends kiss my dear little girls for me and accept the best love of you affectionate Husband

Henry A Allen

A salute is now being fired for the capture of Genl Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment