Sunday, January 8, 2012

November 27 1864

Hilton Head Sunday

Nov 27th 1864

Dear Sarah

I will again pen you a few lines although it has been but a few days since I wrote to you it is strange I can get no letters from you notwithstanding I wrote so often as before stated I have not received but one letter form you since I left Fort Delaware and that was August 20th that letter came to me while at Morris Island dated Spt 28th and was received Oct 15th but I trust this may reach you and I may get one in return. Since I last we have changed from tents to quarters in houses although I have much rather remained in tents. At present I am enjoying fine health and sincerely trust it may continue no possible hope for exchange I can see seventeen months is a long time to be imprisoned but I hope the day is not far distant when I can again call myself a free man. When did you hear from your Pa. while at Fort Pulaski Ga I wrote to him but have never received a line in answer. How are you all dear Sallie has Ida entirely recovered from her sickness Ah: how I would like to see all of you if but for a few moments 2 ½ years since we parted well do I remember that day. How much longer it will be but one knows. When you answer this let me know how you are getting on you always tell me not to be uneasy about you and the children. I wish to know whether good or bad tell me I trust my dear ones have not suffered for anything since I left them. Do not fail to tell me give me all the news in Portsmouth. Give my love to all relatives & friends kiss my dear children for me and accept the love of your affectionate husband Cpt Henry A Allen 9th Va Infty

No comments:

Post a Comment