Tuesday, January 3, 2012

July 8 1864

Fort Delaware July 8th 1864

Dear Dear Sarah

Since I came to this place I have received three letters from you. The first was dated April 25th which as I told you must have been a mistake and intended for June. The next was July 5th in answer to mine from this place receied last night in which you say you have forwarded me five -5- dollars sent by A C M asking if I had received it. I had not at that time but the letter came this morning and I acknowledge the receipt of said amount. Theh letter was dated June 22nd so all your letters have come to hand. Your of 25th I have answered please return my thanks to Ms. Moore. Mary told me in her letter that she had spoken to him pretty freely no doubt that was the cause. I shall write him. I heard T Elliot was here I cannot see him Wm Neaville I saw him when I arrived here he stays in Hospital. Jim Robinson is here with me I am expecting a letter from Mary G daily. Her bundle I have not yet received Mr. Hengan (?) told me of the death (of) Miss Winter. You seem to think I am looking on the dark side indeed I am not. Although it has been a long time since I was a free man and I would rather be anywhere than at this place it is not pleasant to be engaged in battle but I would ten times rather take chances charging a battery of artillery than remain here. I would like much to hear from Mollie. Give my love to them all, my love to Louisa & family tell her to name the little one Florence. Remember me to all home and to all relatives & friends. Kiss my dear little Ida & Lucy for me tell them Pa is well and thinks of them often. I must now close good bye Dear Sallie and accept the best love of your Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment