Tuesday, January 3, 2012

July 29 1864

Fort Delaware July 29th 1864

My Dear Sarah

Last night I received a letter from you dated 25th in which you do not speak of having received mine of the 22nd in answer to yours of the 18th a few days back I received a letter from Mary G. also a package with tobacco smoking & chewing, soap, & hat. I wrote you I think that the bundle forwarded to me at the Point had come to hand. She sends much love to you and Ida and says tell Ida that when the war ends she will have a nice little beau for her as her little boy is growing very fast. Stamps are very hard to get here as the Sutler does not commence to keep us supplied there being such a demand for them you must tell some of my friends to send a few when they write. I am very sorry to hear that Aunt Mary’s health does not improve. I shall write to her shortly how are my dear little girls and you also dear Sarah. I fear you have been subjected to many trials and privations since I saw you last although you will not let me know but I can imagine dear one how you have been situated would to the Lord it was in my power to assist you how much better could I bear my imprisonment if I could only know you and my dear children could have what you wished. Louisa’s little one is better much better off. Give my love to them all did you tell ACM the five had been received if not tell him I would have written to him but had no stamps. I borrowed this one to write you give my love to every one, kiss my little ones and take one imaginary for yourself from your affectionate husband Henry.

I am very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment