Tuesday, January 3, 2012

July 19 1864

Fort Delaware Tuesday Morning

July 19th 1864

Dear Dear Sarah,

It has been a long time to me since receiving a letter from you the last which was written on the 4th and came to hand on the 7th was promptly answered. As I have not a thing to engage me this morning I thought the best use that could be made of my time would be in writing to the dear ones at home. I am well at this time may these line find my loved ones the same. Last night I received a letter from Mary G. she has received the picture and is much pleased with them and says she expects to look at them with much pleasure in better days to come. She thinks Ida favors me very much. I have received her last package containing socks & drawers, also a straw hat. She has been very kind and still wants to know if I need anything. Did it tell you that the sets in the ring I sent you was part of the back of the portmonie or pocket book that I brought with me from home I think it was yours it has nearly given out it has lasted well and has always been in my pocket with me through many trials & dangers. Mr. Handy is here with us and has been here for twelve months he looks quite venerable with his hair as long as a lady’s flowing down his back. He preaches to us often. I would like much to see you all dear Sallie you and my dear little girls it is indeed a dull weary life we lead here. I do hope it may soon end and we all meet again to live in peace and happiness. I have received no letter from P. since yours. Kiss Ida & Lucy for me my love to all home your Ma, Joe Fannie & Ebba. Also to all my relatives & friends when you see them. What is Shell doing I must now close good bye dear Sallie and believe me ever your affectionate husband Henry.

{Kiss Mollie & Mely for me}

{Division No 36}

No comments:

Post a Comment