Monday, January 9, 2012

March 23 1865

I have written to Gus

Fort Delaware Mch 22nd 65

Dear Sarah

Your kind letter in answer to mine of the 14th came to hand this morning and gave me much pleasure in knowing that my dear ones were well. Councill received one from his Mother yesterday in which she spoke of you and the children as being well. I have improved much since I saw you and at present feel quite well with the exception of a cold my eyesight I think is improving and I trust will soon be as formerly. I suppose Aunt Mary thought Lou had the best claim on her little property as she had been living with her for some time and cared for all her wants while sick. It was kind of her to remember Ida & Lucy. She thought much of them strange she did not think of Brother did she leave no farewell message for him or myself may we all meet her above. I was much surprised to find Ida so very different from what I expected so soft and easy in her manners when I thought she would be wild and noisy as when I left her they are both sweet children and both pretty and I trust we may both live to be proud of them at a future day. Try and get word to Cpt Crocker’s father that his son is here in hospital has been quite sick with chronic Diarrhea but when I heard from him last was improving you tell me not to be uneasy about you how can I help it Dear Sarah when I know you are by yourselves you try to buoy me up but I fear you have or will suffer. Tip Shannon told me about Md Williams what does his wife say to it. If you have any small pieces of gold or silver broken jewelry send it by letter when you write again as I want to have some trinkets made. Love to all home and to all friends. Kiss my little girls good bye and God Bless you my dear Wife

Henry A Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment