Saturday, January 7, 2012

October 25 1864

Fort Pulaski Georgia

Oct 25th 1864

Dear Sarah

From the above you will see that I have again changed my prison home we left Morris Island on the 21st and arrived here on the 22nd having a pleasant trip and are now quartered inside the Fort. We are in very comfortable quarters although rather cool at this time for a southern clime. I much prefer living here than on the Island we are treated well by both officers and men and they seem quite willing to oblige us when asking any little favor of them I speak relative to the officers we do not communicate with the men. Our rations are rather scant at this time but hope they will improve. I received a letter yesterday and on looking at it I found it to be one that I had written to you since the Island dated 29th returned on account of the length I suppose. I received one from you since that was written dated the day before 28th I received it on the 19th this month and answered it directly which I trust you will receive ere this reaches you. You had better keep the money as you will need it if your Ma leaves use your own judgment in the matter I cannot advise you. I am well except a slight cold. How has Ida gotten. What a pleasure to be able to see my dear wife and little ones but I trust the day is not far distant give my love to you Ma, Joe, Fannie & Ebbie and to all my relatives and friends. Write soon from your affectionate Husband

Henry A Allen

Fort Pulaski, Georgia

Division No 4

No comments:

Post a Comment