Tuesday, January 10, 2012

April 6 1865

Fort Delaware April 6th 1865

Dear Sarah

Your kind letter dated 2nd I have received after waiting a long time. It gave me much pleasure to hear that my dear ones were all well I also can say the same I am now enjoying fine health and think my eyesight is improving. No doubt you have heard ere this of the evacuation of Richmond. Rather sad news but I am willing and satisfied if our authorities think it best no doubt I will be a prisoner the longer but I trust I shall be able to stand it. The trinkets came to hand tell Mrs. Green the piece of comb is too thin to put a set in but if she wished I will have a ring made for her (out of a button). She did not say whether it was for a grown person or child it is too small for the former and a set cannot be put in it even if it is for a child tell her not to speak of pay. I will have a ring made both for Ida & Lucy on a different style from Ida’s. You had better send me the size of their middle fingers you can send the ring if Ida wishes it and I will have the letter replaced. I have written twice since the 23rd Mch with my last I made application (here) for a permit to receive a few articles of clothing if you receive my letter it will give you the ___ information more will be allowed to come without a permit is granted if you can get any more pieces of gold send them. I intend having a nice made for you soon. I must now close as it is nearly sundown and my sight failing my love to all home also to Mary Hodel & family Mr & Mrs Green and to all friends & relatives. Kiss my little girls for me good bye from your affectionate Husband

Henry A Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment