Monday, January 9, 2012

February 14 1865

Hilton Head Prison Feb 14th 65

Dear Dear Sarah

Yours of the 4th came to hand last night much sooner than I expected in your letter of Jan 6th I forgot to mention (rather my answer to that letter) that four stamps came to hand also send one when you write. Since I wrote you last I have been quite sick confined to my bunk for ten or twelve days. I am now getting along pretty well my eyesight gets no better I have given up reading cannot read my bible when I receive your letters it takes me fully half an hour to get through with it it takes me a long time to write and pains my eyes very much. I am sorry John did not get my letter I suppose he had been released as you say he has gone to Europe. If you should send the box send some letter paper & envelopes if convenient thick woollen shirts would be preferable to under shirts and cotton shirts then I could wear but one shirt also thick unbleached cottons for drawers ___ as is best. Shirts & drawers I must have as I will not have a change in a few days. My respects to Gus D and tell him to send me some stamps tell him I would write but can hardly see how to do so. Remember me to all my relatives & friends. Kiss my dear children for me and tell them Pa has suffered much since he saw them, but they must be good children and mind Ma. Good bye and God bless you my dear Wife from your Husband Henry A Allen

Send the box as soon as possible

No comments:

Post a Comment