Sunday, January 8, 2012

November 21 1864

Hilton Head Monday morning

Nov 21st 1864

My Dear Wife

It has been a long long time since your last dated Sept 28th came to hand and I have almost given up all hope of hearing from you again since I left Ft Delaware but one letter have I received that being yours. While I was at that place I was in correspondence with some ten or twelve which made the time pass away a little more pleasantly but have not written any but your Pa and yourself since. I have been expecting a letter from him for some time but have come to the conclusion that he did not receive it. We arrived at this place yesterday from Ft. Pulaski the day before leaving I wrote a letter to you but did not mail it at that time as there was some talk of leaving and I was very glad I did not as we left next day. A good many sick & wounded are being exchanged there is some talk of our following soon doubtful I expect. The point of exchange is near Savannah. I have now been a prisoner seventeen months the third of next month. A pretty long time don’t you think as I am now quite well while at Morris Island I spoke in one of my letters of being blind as soon as dusk came on it left me on arrival at Pulaski the Dr thought it was caused by the sand as it was nothing but a sand bank there. How are you my dear Sarah and my little girls well I trust. Ah: what a pleasure to see you all after being parted two and a half years but I trust the day is not far distant when we will enjoy that great blessing. You are hardly out of my mind one moment during the day and I build many air castles to be blasted I fear it certainly has been a source of great pleasure to be in possession of your picture and when I gaze upon them I pray my dear loved ones may not suffer during my long absence. My best love to Ma, Aunt Mary, Miss Ann & family Louisa & family, Mary G all at home if they have not gone to your Pa. if I should be exchanged I will try to see him as I may have to pass through Augusta. You spoke of going with your Ma I cannot advise you use your own judgment. I may not see you untill the war ends unless Norfolk & Portsmouth falls to us again. I must close kiss my dear little Ida & Lucy for me and accept the best love of you affectionate husband Henry A Allen Cpt 9th Va Infantry

Prisoner of War Hilton Head S. Carolina

Write soon and send a few stamps remember me to Mrs Foster & Laura also to Mollie and all the Owens family

No comments:

Post a Comment