Monday, January 9, 2012

March 14 1865

Division No 35

Fort Delaware Mrch 14th 1865

Dear Dear Sarah

You will no doubt be surprised to learn that we are back again at this place it was indeed a severe disappointment as we fully expected to be exchanged it was the only time since being a prisoner that I believed we would go through but I shall never again be fooled. At any rate I had the pleasure of seeing my dear wife & children and feel very thankful after being separated so long it is time I had but a short time to remain with you but it was a source of great gratification to find you and the little ones in such good health. I feel indeed grateful to my friends for the kind manner in which I was treated by them you know to what I allude Gus is indeed a friend and I shall never forget him. The next day while in the harbor Augustine Moore came off to see me and brought me a basket of provisions also a little money which came in very well on the boat. I was much shocked when I was told Aunt Mary was dead she is now happy no doubt. I often think how you will manage when your Ma leaves I trust you will do well. Do not think of sending me money ot anything else as I can make out very well some think we will go through soon if we do I think I will have you with me my stay with you was short and having so many sisters could talk but little with you dear Sarah but never mind we may meet again shortly in Dixie. Give my love to all relatives and friends. I would have written yesterday but was quite unwell Councill wrote yesterday. Kiss my little girls for me my love to all home good bye from your affectionate husband

H Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment